Thursday, September 21, 2006

Is Moody really "The Name You Can Trust"?

From Moody Publisher's website

' "Moody Publishers is far and above one of the most trustworthy publishers in the industry. In the 1960’s, Moody Publishers adopted the slogan, "The Name You Can Trust" because of strong and positive customer feedback about our integrity. "There is a bedrock of trust of Moody Publishers in the industry" says Jerry B. Jenkins co-author of the Left Behind Series. "Book dealers have felt they can refer customers to those books [without concern over content]."

The motto stuck. It has continued to define who Moody Publishers is in the marketplace. We promise that every product and contact with our company will reveal that we remain "The Name You Can Trust." '

I don't know about Moody Publishers (which is beyond the scope of this post), but I'm getting a strong feeling this can't be said of Moody Broadcast Network. Today's "Midday Connection" was psychobabble. Check out this link and you may have to look in the archives for the program for 9/21/06. It's an interview with Steven Scott, who's webisite can be found here.

As I sat there and listened to the broadcast, I kept wanting to hear something that reminded me of my dependence on God and His Holy Spirit. But that wasn't to happen. It was all about "vision casting".

For years, Moody Radio has been a blessing to me. Have they been perfect? Of course not. But it seems that in recent years there is more and more of this type of stuff going on.

I'm not sure if it's gotten worse or maybe I'm just seeing it more plainly, but it seems to me that MBN is just getting increasingly man-centered.

You can "Cast Your Visions" all you want but "unless the Lord builds the house, those who labor, labor in vain."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you may just be seeing more plainly that yet another trusted organization has been involved in the downward slide for decades. I checked Biblical Discernment Ministries and found an article from the 90's that had this:

True Bible teachers are banned from "Christian" radio stations like the Moody network, lest they expose the humanism Moody promotes in the name of "Christian psychology."

The URL is http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Introduction/toonegative.htm

I cut some spiritual teeth on Moody Monthly Magazine in the early 80's and it's sad that I can no longer trust them.

Anonymous said...

I listen to the local Moody affiliate everyday and have indeed noticed exactly what you have- they are going down a slippery slope of feel good, easy believism. I have wondered about the show: "Midday Connection" for a while, and just this week I was sent a listner survey specifically about that show - I told them exactly what I thought about it. I think some changes (better or worse) may be in the works for that particular show, so to all those that may care- you may want to consider e-mailing Moody Radio with your concerns.....
This really is a disappointment.
I also caught a remark made by Dennis Rainey when being interviewed tonight for Primetime America where he emphasized Moody's stand for Pro-Life. I think someone is reading the blogs......