Friday, September 22, 2006

Deal or No Deal?

As a habit, I don't watch television. But when I visit my parent's house, I know dad will be there watching the tube. Tonight was no different.

Tonight he was watching "Deal or No Deal". The show where a person, by raw chance, can win tons of bucks...or not.

As I watched this, a woman was making her way up to $750,000. Ok, I guess. I certainly wouldn't mind it. Who wouldn't? She was on a streak and at one point, she jumped up and down and yelled "I own this board!". But as I watched it there was one point where the host told her to make a choice....and that this was "The Biggest Decision of Her Life".

No. I don't think so.

See, she was straining to gain things that are temporal. And one Day she will be going out to eternity. And she will find out that she doesn't really own anything...not even "the board".

We all have to make a decision. And I guess the best way to put it is this:

Do you consider yourself to be a good person? Yes? No? By what standard? How about comparing yourself to God's Law?

God gave us His law for one reason: to show us what the standard is to enter heaven.

Have you ever stolen anything (regardless of size)? Yes? What does that make you? Wouldn't you call me a thief if I stole something from you?

Have you ever hated anyone? Jesus said that just hating someone is equal to murder. And someone who murders is a murderer.

Have you evern lied? If you say "no", you are probably lying. Of course, we have all lied. So that makes you and I liars.

Have you ever lusted after someone's spouse? God calls that adultery.

So, we haven't even covered all ten commandments but so far you and I are lying, thieving, murderous adulterers. And 1 Corinthians 6 says that those kinds of people don't go to heaven.

What are you going to do? Ask God to forgive you? On what basis? No judge worthy of any kind of respect can just "forgive" someone. There has to be a penalty paid. And by default you will pay for your sin. For eternity.

But you don't have to take the default. See, payment has been made on your behalf. In this case, the Judge has come around to your side of the bench and paid your fine. Jesus Christ came to this planet and took on humanity and lowered himself to death on the cross. Why? To pay for your sin and mine. Not only that, he rose from the dead on the third day, which shows that the Father accepted his sacrifice. If Jesus hadn't done it, he'd still be dead. But He is alive!

So, Deal or No Deal?

The Lord has made it clear. No matter how you have lived your life, repent (turn from) your sin and put your trust in the finished work of Jesus Christ on your behalf.

No comments: