Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Phil Johnson on True Spiritual Warfare


Today I had the prive-, privil, privu--....honor of hearing this sermon by Phil Johnson of "Grace To You", Grace Community Church and TeamPyro.

If only I had heard this (or if someone did tell me, had I let it sink in) it would have saved me alot of frustration.

Years ago when I falsely professed being a Christian, I acquired a ton of head knowlege. After all, the "foaming-fundies" in my area had convinced me that being able to attack anyone over the smallest theological differences was of prime importance.

Years later, in 1998, when I was convicted of my sinful state and need for repentance and faith in Christ (all 'alone' without the aid of a preacher, or Christian music no less! -- for those who think it's all in 'presentation'), I had a real problem with what I had in my head because I was deathly afraid of pride. Well, that was a legitimate concern. But the problem was I went to the opposite extreme and tried to avoid theology as much as I could.

See, in 1998, I had been 'grabbed' again by more strange people. But this time it was mysticism. Saying words to bind things and all that -- Jack Deere's kind of stuff.

Over time, I found the Lord letting me get my spiritual hind-end whipped until I came to a point where I had to go back to trusting God's revealed truth.

And what Phil Johnson says in his message "True Spiritual Warfare" has been a wonderful confirmation of God's working in my life.

Give this a listen and, as Phil would say, "Apply Directly to the Forehead".

Oh, and be sure to tell Bob Bixby you saw Phil's logo here. He's always on the lookout for them.

No comments: