Thursday, December 11, 2008

"If The Foundations Be Destroyed"

How many times have you heard this scripture fragment quoted? "If the foundations be destroyed, what shall the righteous do?". It's from Psalm 11:3. And with almost no exception it is quoted by someone who is referring to the decline of America. I've heard Dobson use it countless times. And the result is "handwringing". You know. That anxiety about "Oh no...it's all caving in...we're gonna lose our freedoms..we better fight!".

Well, I for one am getting nauseated by hearing this fragment of Scripture abused in such a manner. Not sure how it started or who "ground zero" is as far as who started it but I'm plain nauseated by it.

This verse fragment is one I expected to read somewhere in this article that I received from CWN.

The above link is about how we are only two states away from having a constitutional convention and if that happens, we will have a major (liberal) workover of the constitution.

Now while I do love this country and the freedoms we have, I also have to remember something even more important: I am a Christian first and foremost. As such, my first responsibility is to maintain my walk with the Lord which can be broken down into personal holiness and also ministry to my wife before all other things. If I fail in one of those two areas, nothing else matters.

My second responsibility is making disciples. This has to be second because if my personal walk (personal holiness and ministry to wife/family) is not right then I have no right to talk to anyone about sin issues, do I?

Remember, we are Christians...first and foremost! I've often put it this way: I am a Christian who just happens to live in a country named the United States of America. I'm not some kind of hybrid...an "Amero-Christian". I'm a Christian. My citizenship is in Heaven. I'm here as an ambassador. I'm a missionary on this Earth...no matter where I am. I'm not here to focus on what is going on around me and get all a-quiver about the changing political climate.

Now, of course, the analogy does fail a bit because I do have voting rights, etc. At least to this point. Things may change. But I think my point is obvious. I'm not here to get all wrapped up in "reforming" the country from the outside. I'm here to represent the Gospel and make disciples. And if you are a Christian, you are too.

So, while I do thank the Lord for the freedoms we enjoy at this time, I do not get wrapped up in having someone "protect my rights as a Christian", especially when it involves things that I have been told to do by the Lord through His Word regardless of what is viewed as a "right" by the surrounding society. And should there be a conflict between the two, the score shall be (rightly) Heavenly Citizenship 1, American Citizenship 0. Period. End of debate.

And let me clarify. I have no problem with someone who differs with me on the degree of political involvement. But I do have to disagree (rather strongly) with those who so often and freely abuse Psalm 11:3.

So, what gives with this phrase we hear so much about the foundations being destroyed? Is it true that the Psalmist could be telling us (ala Dobson) "OOOOhh NO! Things are falling apart! We're in BIG TROUBLE! We better do something fast!"

No. Not at all. And such an implication, so often heard, is a twisting of the Scripture. And if I hear it again, I will vomit.

Let's take a look at the passage, shall we?

1 In the LORD I take refuge.
How then can you say to me:
"Flee like a bird to your mountain.

2 For look, the wicked bend their bows;
they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows
at the upright in heart.

3 When the foundations are being destroyed,
what can the righteous do?"

4 The LORD is in his holy temple;
the LORD is on his heavenly throne.
He observes the sons of men;
his eyes examine them.

5 The LORD examines the righteous,
but the wicked and those who love violence
his soul hates.

6 On the wicked he will rain
fiery coals and burning sulfur;
a scorching wind will be their lot.

7 For the LORD is righteous,
he loves justice;
upright men will see his face.

Now, to be fair, let's ignore the quotation marks at the beginning of this passage because they are not inspired. It is something added by the translators. Agree?

The Psalmist starts out by making a simple statement:

"The Lord is my refuge." Simple enough? No problems so far. He then asks a question: "How then can you say to me..." which indicates a question, no?

The question is this: "Because I trust in the Lord, why do you say to me..."You better run! Head for the hills! The Baddies are coming for you good guys! Whatcha gonna do about it?"

See? Not hard to understand is it?

Let's take a look at this passage again, but leaving out the question the Psalmist asks:

1 In the LORD I take refuge.
...(Why? How?)...
4 The LORD is in his holy temple;
the LORD is on his heavenly throne.
He observes the sons of men;
his eyes examine them.

5 The LORD examines the righteous,
but the wicked and those who love violence
his soul hates.

6 On the wicked he will rain
fiery coals and burning sulfur;
a scorching wind will be their lot.

7 For the LORD is righteous,
he loves justice;
upright men will see his face.

In other words, he is saying "Look. My refuge is in the Lord. No matter what, God is still on His throne. He controls the things that come our way. He is sovereign. He not only is sovereign, there is nothing that He is not aware of. He sees everything. Nothing escapes his view. He observes the righteous and the wicked. The wicked willl be dealt with and those who are counted by God as righteous will see Him."

So, buddy...what is this "It's all falling apart" stuff? It's temporal. It is therefore not all that important.

Nothing is out of God's control. And nothing is happening that He is not permitting. So, can we stop the panic? The scripture twisting...seemingly in the name of inciting political activism? That does not honor God. It dishonors him...first by showing our trust is not in our True Refuge but in our own political savvy. But also by misrepresenting what God has indeed said!

Want to vote? Great! Vote! I vote too! Want to call your congressmen and women about something? Fine! I've done it too...once in a while. But when it becomes a "trusting in chariots and horses" rather than trusting "...in he Name of the Lord our God" (Psalm 20:7) then it becomes sin. Period. The Lord is to be our fortress, not laws that we manipulate through those who do not even know the Lord.

Bretheren, for so long we have been a blessed country (in spite of ourselves). And I do believe we are going to lose that. But I'm hard pressed to see anywhere that we are told to preserve our own "rights". And so often I have gotten calls from places like the American Center for Law and Justice. Incessant calls asking for money so that they can "Protect my right to pray".

The last time I received such a call and heard that line, I told the person my thoughts on this...as I've already delineated here. "I don't have a 'right' to pray...I have the duty and privilege to pray which was given to me by the Lord Himself! No one can change that regardless!" Her response? Silence. Then an answer that indicated to me that a light went on. No, I'm not going to fork over tons of money so someone can "protect my rights as a Christian". Why? On what basis? With all those in need around us, shall we throw our money away selfishly in the name of self-preservation?

Judgement day: "And Tim, let's examine how you used the money that I trusted you with while you were on Earth".

"Well, I, err, thought it might be best...ummm...to protect myself...even though...uhmmm, You told me that 'no disciple is above his master...'"

End of defense. A failed one. Wood. Hay. Stubble.

Why are so many who name the Name of Jesus Christ seemingly so involved in self-preservation? And are we not likely working against the Lord Who is bringing about a purifying persecution? Shall we say "No Lord"? Those two words are mutually exclusive!

Our country is undoubtedly entering into a time of severe judgment from a Holy God. And He is doing it, in part, to bring men and women to despair in temporal things and themselves and bring them to repentance! Are we going to fight against that?

And who are we fooling? Ourselves? This country in which we live has not been a representative republic for some time. Remember the bailouts? They were passed *in spite of* the fact that the vast majority of those our "representatives", well, represent! What does that tell you about our political "horses and chariots"?

Nope, I'm not against voting. I'm not against speaking out on some issues. But don't expect me to find solace in political "solutions" through this lost culture. My refuge is in the Lord, especially when "the foundations be destroyed".

No comments: