Saturday, March 24, 2007

It's Time To Shake Off Indifference


Wow. Seems like evangelism is simply not a priority any more.

Before I explain that statement, let me focus on a positive. Your prayers would be appreciated as I gear up to do training in evangelism using "The Way of the Master". I've got a laptop, the DVDs, tracts and just about everything else I could think of. As of now, I'm looking for people to train in Biblical evangelism. Part of my reasoning is it will provide accountability for me to be consistent in my outreach efforts.

Ok. So what prompted my opening statement?

Well, it seems that so many "Christians" are not interested in evangelism. And for those who seem to be, it's not much of a priority.

Last night I was approached by someone asking for donations for a walkathon for Alzheimer's disease. At first, I was slow to fork over anything, seems like the line for this kind of thing never ends. But I saw it as a possible opening. So I donated.

Before the woman could walk off, I said "hold it a minute" and gave her a "Living Waters" pressed penny mounted on one of their tract cards. People tend to like these, mainly women. Anyway, she was very surprised and happy to have this handed to her. She really appreciated it!

Because I was excited about this transaction, I gave a few to some guys that I had just met. We were out bowling and these guys profess Christ. One of the church leaders was there. He got one too.

Sadly, the response from the woman was much better than the response from the professing Christians. I found that they kind of liked the idea of evangelism, but frankly, they seemed more interested in bowling. Now, I enjoy bowling -- even with my bad knees. But let's face it, we only have so much time on this planet and we need to make the most of it. We need to "redeem the time".

The coins and cards went into wallets and pockets and were a non-priority. I understand not everyone is going to go into dance and song, but I was just taken aback by the relative indifference.

Do we really care about going out of our way to share the gospel with those who are stumbling toward judgement? Are we really convinced that what we have to share is important?

If you saw someone in a burning building, would you just go on your way and let them burn?

When I tried to discuss my evangelism training efforts to the church leader, I got a nod of the head and a glazed look. And these people would normally talk a lot about sharing Christ.

While I waited my turn to bowl, I found myself sitting there wondering how many "christians" are into whatever gimmick to "attract the unchurched" yet simply don't think sharing your faith is a priority! It's kind of like saying "Hey, come here, we want your attention but we won't come out and tell you what you need". What hypocrisy!

Only the Lord knows, at this point, what the woman did with that card I gave her. Maybe one day this side of heaven I'll know. But it was joyful to share it with her and to see her appreciation for it. I pray she reads it and comes to know the Lord, assuming she doesn't already.

And I pray we drop the indifference.

No comments: