Monday, May 19, 2008

. . .and I say, Even So, Come Lord Jesus.

The signs are everywhere. Our society is unraveling. Whatever is ungodly is exalted and whatever calls us to account is made light of. 

Our society cries and whines about healthcare, even while it promotes the homosexual agenda which is responsible for the bigger share of the spread of AIDS. Talk about schizophrenic! And the nutcases that want to say "it's part of evolution".  Wow. Talk about nonsense! A non-procreative lifestyle is a part of evolution? Can you say "That dog don't hunt"? Oh yeah. I forgot. "Homosexual activity can be seen in the animal kingdom". As if they are our example anyway.

There's more. While an increasing number of Jews are returning to Israel and more and more Jews are recognizing Jesus Christ as their Messiah, our country, among others, is more than happy to play footsie with their enemies in the name of "Peace". 

More schizophrenia.

And then, of course, is how our representative form of government is on the demise. News of erasing our borders (ever heard of the "North American Union"?), killing the dollar and replacing it with the  "Amero" and ultimately merging it with the Euro, the emergence of a world court which has already began sticking it's filthy fingers in our judicial business. After a while, anyone can see the signs.

Does this mean that Jesus is returning tomorrow? Today? Who knows. Our Lord said that no one knows the day or hour. And I'm not predicting. 

I get all kinds of email. I think what brought this post about is a link I got on Saturday. If you want to be brought to despair, here's a couple of videos for you to look at. Nothing new, but they kind of summarize my point. 






I am a Christian, first and foremost. Whatever happens, my allegiance is to Christ. Not that I am perfect. And not that I don't get frustrated, because I do. My father and so many of his generation, which I believe was one of the greatest generations our country has seen, are being wholesale betrayed. . .and it began long ago. 

It is tempting to feel defeated. Naturally, we would like things to turn around. God willing, they will. But I don't see any signs of it. Oh, a skirmish won here and there. But no large turning of the tide. And, as many unbelievers have said, "Christians better be ready to become very unpopular". 

Well, we may well be. For a while.

But in all this, even though we may be tempted, we are not to despair. Nope. No way.

If you were able to go back and tell Moses what you knew and encourage him, what would you say? That the scriptures tell us what happened. God was faithful to what He told him. The same goes for all the crises in the Scriptures. We could say "here's how it worked out. God took care of it". Yet, it is so easy for us to see what is going on around us and be nearly consumed with "what can we do to fix this" or "we gotta make this right". No, we don't. 

Turn to Psalm 11. This is a wonderful Psalm for days like ours. Like the Psalmist, we can almost hear lost society mocking us, saying "we're destroying your foundation, what will you righteous jokers do". 

The answer? It's not up to us. 

Here's the Psalm:

"1 In the LORD I take refuge;
How can you say to my soul, “Flee as a bird to your mountain; 
2 For, behold, the wicked bend the bow,
They make ready their arrow upon the string
To shoot in darkness at the upright in heart. 
3 If the foundations are destroyed,
What can the righteous do?” 
4 The LORD is in His holy temple; the LORD’S throne is in heaven;
His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men. 
5 The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked,
And the one who loves violence His soul hates. 
6 Upon the wicked He will rain snares;
Fire and brimstone and burning wind will be the portion of their cup. 
7 For the LORD is righteous, He loves righteousness;
The upright will behold His face."


God is on His throne. We don't see Him, but He is there. I don't see electricity but I know it's there. I don't see oxygen, but I know it's there. I see the effect of electricity, I breath oxygen and I see the outworkings of God. 

Not only is God on His throne, He sees it all and he knows what is in their heart. 

You know, so often we fall into the same trap as the unbeliever. Since God hasn't exercised judgement, we act as if He isn't there. But He is. Judgement postponed isn't judgement denied. And it will be exercised. We know that it will be, as sure as we know Sodom and Gomorra were destroyed and Tyre was leveled never to be rebuilt.

John MacArthur, who is a pre-trib pre-millennialist (as I am as well) once was discussing what he would do if he were wrong and found himself in the Tribulation. He said that he would simply go to the AntiChrist, call him that to his face, and that would be that. That is my attitude as well. 

See, it's all just a test. All the madness. All the insanity. How the world is going. God is testing us. He is purifying the Church. The tares are becoming known. It'll cost something to be  a believer. And guess what? Contrary to what easy believe-ism teaches, that is exactly what Jesus taught. 

The time is over to debate with gays, atheists and those skeptics and cynics that once claimed to be Christians but were never converted. How many times I've tried to discuss false conversion with apostates. How the Scriptures tell us that "converts" that fall away merely betray themselves as those who were never converted. John, among others, told us that in 1 John. They left us because they were not of us. If they are for real they will "continue to purify themselves even as He is pure". Why? Because the Lord of the Universe who puts new life in a regenerate person will make sure that they continue. 

So, to this world that is so quickly falling apart, I say "come and get me!". Arrest me. Do whatever. I won't resist. I know how the story ends.

You can ban Christianity, you can create "hate crime" laws that protect sin, you can put me in jail for exercising my faith. You can even put me to death! Have at it!

But you know what? Jesus said I am not to fear man, who can only destroy the body and after that do nothing, but rather to fear God Who is able to send a soul  to Hell. 

Yes, I fear God. God is Holy. He is Righteous and will exercise righteous judgement on a sinful world. You can have this world. It's all perishing anyway. And where will you be a thousand years from now? A million? And yet while I do fear God, I thank Him for sending His one and only Son, Jesus, to pay the penalty for my sin. 

So, as this world goes down the tubes, don't despair. Remind yourself of the certainty of God's Word. Yes, the world will laugh. For a while. But their laughing will turn to mourning. And our wailing will turn to dancing.

In all this, may God be glorified forever.