Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The PRESERVATION and the PERSEVERANCE of the Saints

Over the past years, I've become increasingly opposed to the phrase "Once Saved Always Saved". Not because I don't believe in the security of the true Christian but because of how that phrase has been so abused to excuse sin in the life of those who profess to be believers.

An aside: Isn't it how God works? I'm sitting here tying this, and I just heard Alan Cairns at "Let The Bible Speak" talk on this very same thought!

True saints will persevere. Both in faith and practice. Many will argue that this defeats the ability of the Christian to know he is eternally secure. In a sense, it does. My pont being that only those living in obedience to God will be granted assurance by God.

And reflect on how often the Bible tells us such things as "...work out your salvation with fear and trembling" and "...make your calling and election sure..." as Peter put it.



No comments: