Thursday, June 14, 2007

Deciding to Stay or Go.
Then God Provides

Frank Turk over at Team Pyro wrote a great article a while back. Reading it has prompted me to write this entry.

You see, it wasn't too long ago -- maybe a couple of months -- that I was considering the possibility of starting a meeting on Sunday mornings at our home.

It had been nearly three years since I left a church 18 miles from here. Our pastor had left and the worship team took over. You probably know the rest of the "contemporary" story. We had a near-founding member who liked to run things with clenched jaw, pounding fist althewhile spitting through his teeth as he expressed his anger problem.

Then I began attending a sister church here in town. Things seemed to be better, but all I found really amounted to another "business" type of church. You feel like nothing more than a cog in a machine. Yes, everything looks nice and polished but when push comes to shove, it's all "cut and paste" religion. And yes, the church growth mentality. It took some time to come to see, partially because I was refusing to accept what I subconsciously knew, but I finally "got it". So much for the BGC.

Then I rememebered an old friend. One that knew me over two decades ago, whom I had heard went "somewhere". So I called him. I'm glad I paid attention to him.

Yes, it's a smaller church. But who cares? The main thing is always the same -- faithfulness. "Spread the message and leave God with the results". Yes, I've actually heard the pastor say this in front of the church! WOW!

There are members there who have decided to get together for a class on "The Way of the Master" evangelism foundations series. It's going great! IT's an honor to be a part of this group. They mean business. They ask good questions. And even best, they think Biblically.

The pastor holds a full-time position with a local firm. He loves the scriptures and works hard to preach the Word to us. He's not in it for numbers or popularity. He seeks to glorify God. He's always there with a big smile and a welcoming spirit.

So I thank the Lord for this church and this pastor. Yes, it's part of another conference. And yes, the conference has problems. But you have to take churches on an individual basis.

It's nice to be home.


No comments: