Sunday, September 14, 2008

Shakespeare, Bo Peep, Dr. Seuss, and Biblical Preaching

If you're like me, you may well be frustrated over the lack of depth you hear from pulpits today. As I posted some time ago, my wife and I have renewed our search for a good church. It can be very frustrating, especially in a town of 35,000 such as ours.

There is an absolute lack of good expository preaching. Everything kept very shallow. We are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds but there is little being presented that can truly transform the mind of the believer because it lacks clarity and depth.

It was just this past week that I gave a pastor a copy of "The Existence and Attributes of God" by Stephen Charnock. I did this because he hadn't heard of Charnock (or Tozer, or. . .) and figured it might help him one way or another. His response? "It'll probably be just a waste of money, I don't do much reading". I gave it to him anyway with the hope that perhaps, just perhaps he'll see something that will get him thinking about some things.

Tragic though. Is it any wonder why true Christians starve while being served stones instead of loaves of bread?

In any case, TeamPyro has a post worthy of review which deals with issues like the above, or even worse. Check it out!

No comments: