Friday, September 04, 2009

Are You a Closet Calvinist?

From his work, "Closet Calvinists":

"In my Arminian days, I affirmed an awful lot of truth about the sovereignty of God. I would have affirmed with no reservation whatsoever that God is God; that He does all His good pleasure; that no one ...can make Him do otherwise; that He is in control and in charge no matter how much noise evildoers try to make; and not only is He in charge, He is working all things out for my good and His glory. As a matter of fact, my confidence in the promise of Romans 8:28 was what motivated my prayer life. That’s Calvinism. If you believe those things, you have affirmed the heart of Calvinism, even if you call yourself an Arminian. Those are the basic truths of Calvinism, and if you already believe those things, you are functioning with Calvinist presuppositions..." -- Phil Johnson

No comments: